Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Mysterious Envelope: The Delivery



The mysterious, large, white envelope was delivered to Zeke’s home around suppertime. A deliveryman pounded on his front door when no one answered the doorbell. A concerned, next-door neighbor watched to see what the deliveryman was going to do.

“Maybe I should go over and get it?” he thought. He waited as Zeke who was a partially crippled, elderly man, finally answered the door. “Oh no, he is walking with a white cane. His eyesight must have become compromised.”

“I need a signature, sir,” the deliveryman said to Zeke, as the neighbor listened from his own yard.

Zeke signed for the envelope with a large ‘X’ and tried to grab the envelope.

“I need your name, sir!”  

“It’s about time you got out of here!” Zeke shouted, angrily. “You have my signature. Is that not enough?”

“May I see your identification, too?”

“There’s no privacy any more,” said Zeke, as he dug in his wallet for his senior’s card. “Invasion of privacy is a criminal offense, you know.”

“I know, sir! Thank you. I am sorry to have troubled you.”

Zeke grabbed the envelope and tossed it in the house.

“I think I had better check with Zeke and see what is in that mysterious envelope,” thought the neighbor.  

“What is delivered here is none of your business!” yelled Zeke, when he attempted to find out what was in the envelope.

“I am only trying to help,” replied the neighbor, apologetically.

“Can you give me my sight back?” Zeke retorted. “Get out of here, right now!”

Later that day, the same neighbor called an ambulance, when he realized Zeke had fallen off his front step and was unable to get up. The mysterious, white envelope was exactly where Zeke had tossed it. 

“It is an application for the ‘Home for the Blind’. I should have insisted on looking at that envelope earlier.”

“I don’t need your help!” insisted Zeke. “You are not putting me in that place."

”You have a fractured hip,” said the ambulance attendant. “We are taking you to Emergency.”

No comments:

Post a Comment