Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Controversy: The Argument



“Daddy, I don’t think parents and children can have a fair argument, do you?” ten-year old Meggie, asked her father. “Parents always win.” 

“Parents don’t always win,” replied her father, “That is a controversial statement, to say the least. Where is my daughter coming from?” he wondered. “She’s growing up too fast!”

“See, right away, you used a big word that I do not understand. That is not really fair, as there is no way I can win unless I understand what you are saying,” replied Meggie. “Daddy, what does controversial mean?”

“Let me explain it to you. Say you and I are having an argument, or disagreement about something. You take one side and I take the other side. That is also a dispute.”

“Like when I say parents and children can never have a fair argument?”

“That is right. I disagree with what you said, because I think that parents and children can have a fair argument. Disagreements of any kind can turn into heated arguments, or public arguments that lead to controversy, which may involve other people and then, they take sides.”

“Like the king and the king’s men, siding together against a person like Robin Hood?”

“More like when you and I have an argument and all of your classmates side with you, while your mother and brothers take my side.”

“Like if I say ten year old girls are smarter than ten year old boys?”

“That could be a good example of a controversial topic that might involve the opinions of others. The ten year old girls in your class might agree, but I don’t think that the ten year old boys in your class would.”

“What side would you and Mommy take?”

“That could turn into an interesting debate.”

“See Daddy, I cannot win an argument because you always use words I don’t understand. What is a debate?”

“Maybe we should ask your mother to buy a dictionary for you?”

“We don’t need to do that, Daddy. There is a dictionary on the computer.”


No comments:

Post a Comment