Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Easter Rabbit: Peter Rabbit



“What’s your name, kind sir?” asked a crotchety, old man, wearing huge bifocals and holding a large encyclopedia on his lap.   

“Peter,” replied the rabbit, not certain to whom he was speaking, but he was always congenial with strangers.    

“Are you by any chance a descendant of the Peter Rabbit who appeared in the Beatrix Potter story, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"...?” 

“One and the same,” replied Peter. “How can I help you today, sir?”

“Then you are from the lineage of the pet rabbit that Beatrix Potter had as a child, and your family name was not Rabbit at all. In fact, it was Piper.”

“You got me on that one too, but we are rabbits.”

“You and your ancestors are not real rabbits. You are from a line of fictional, anthropomorphic rabbits.”

“That is true, too.”

“The first Peter Rabbit story, “The Tale of Peter Rabbit”, was originally created in 1893, as a letter to Noel Moore, the five-year-old son of Potter's former governess, Annie Moore. The boy was ill, and Potter wrote him a picture-story letter to help him pass the time and to cheer him up. The letter included sketches illustrating the narrative,” continued the old man.

“Right, but why is this so important for you?” asked Peter.  

“I have been searching for your family for a long time and had almost given up hope,” said the old man. 

“Over the years, I have talked to thousands of rabbits and it has taken me forever to find one of you. Now I can die in peace.”

“Rabbits are pretty prolific, and so, we are scattered all over.”

“I am a stubborn, old, codger, like my father and our fore-fathers before him. Every one of us has searched for a rabbit from your family line. We wanted to say thank you and find out if the Peter Piper line was real.”

"I am real,” replied Peter. “I’m the Easter bunny, too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment