Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Baseball Player: Home Run



“What about me, God?” asked Chad, an avid, baseball player watching his children play baseball. “I still want to have fun, too.”

“When do I get to have a life of my own?” he asked, sadly. “God, I am not feeling sorry for myself. Well, maybe. I am forty years of age with three wonderful children who I love dearly, but I have never felt so alone in all my life.”

Chad was very proud of his twelve-year old son and twin, ten-year old daughters. Every moment of his time was theirs, or dedicated to his job. “I had no idea when I became a father, I would assume the role of mother, too.”       

Chad’s wife had left four months after the twins were born, apologizing for her inability to cope with three small children while he and his baseball team traveled around the country. Now, he was the one who waited in the stands, while his children played baseball.

At first, it had seemed like a challenge. It was fun to take care of his children, even though he had to do it by himself. It was not long before his baseball career came to a complete halt. Caring for his son and daughters had to take precedence over his love of baseball. No longer could he travel from competition to competition.

“Do I only get to enjoy baseball through the eyes of my children now, God? Somehow, that does not seem fair.” His heart skipped a beat as he watched his son hit a home run, enabling both of his daughters who were also on bases, to run to home base.    

“Way to go, Chip!” he hollered. “You are a chip off the old block!”

His former coach, a kindly man standing at the concession booth, heard him, walked over to the stands and sat down beside him.

“You are a lucky man, Chad. I lost my wife and children in a car accident, when my son was about the same age as yours. You and the rest of the baseball team became my family.” 

“We are having hot dogs later, coach. Care to join us?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment